IAAPA Safety Institute (Chinese): Universal Studios Beijing
October 19, 2023
Location: Beijing, China
Join the IAAPA Safety Institute at Universal Studios Beijing for a unique learning experience inside the theme park. Led by industry leaders and regulators, this institute offers firsthand knowledge of safety operations and maintenance through behind-the-scenes tours.
The IAAPA Safety Institute provides an opportunity for entry-level attractions operators to examine these processes and learn best practices in ride standards, risk management, and safety compliance. We recommend this course to members who are new to the industry, are interested in cross-departmental development, and for those seeking a basic understanding of safety tools and regulations.
The course, conducted in Mandarin, includes five modules: Global Safety Regulations, Safety Management Culture, Risk Management, Operations Best Practices, and Maintenance Best Practices. Expert guest lecturers from Universal Beijing Resort, Shanghai Disney Resort, and the China Special Equipment Inspection and Research Institute will share their insights.
The scheduled times listed below are subject to possible modifications.
- 08:45 – 09:15 | On-Site Registration
- 9:30-9:40 | Welcome and Opening Remarks
- 09:45 – 10:30 | Global Safety Update
- Zhang Yong, Secretary General, National Standardization Technology Committee on the Ropeway and Amusement Device (NSRAD) , CSEI
- 10:30 – 10:45 | Coffee Break
- 10:45 – 11:30 | Safety Culture
- Phil Hong, Safety Director, Shanghai Disney Resort
- 11:30 – 12:15| Risk Management
- Xavier Wong, Director, Operations Compliance, Health, Training & Safety, Universal Beijing Resort
- 12:15 – 13:15| Lunch Buffet
- 13:15 – 14:00 | Best Practices in Operations
- Melinda Li, Manager, Attractions Operations, Universal Beijing Resort
- 14:00 – 14:45 | Best Practices in Maintenance
- Hongbo Yu, Assistant Director, Ride & Show Engineering Services, Universal Beijing Resort
- 14:45 – 15:15 | Certificate of Completion
- 15:15 – 18:00 | Behind-the-Scenes Tour*
- *The Behind-the-Scenes tour is subject to potential modifications based on the operational requirements of the park. Photography and videography are strictly prohibited during the tour. *幕后考察将视乐园运营要求而定，可能会有所调整。 幕后期间严禁拍照、摄像。
- 18:00 – 19:00 | Free Activities | Universal Beijing Resort
Your registration includes tuition, supporting materials, lunch buffet, coffee breaks, a One-Day Ticket to Universal Studios Beijing, a Guided Park Behind-the-scenes tour, and access to the IAAPA Meetup:
Get a 200 RMB discount for each attendee when 3 or more participants from the same organization register. Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity! For more information, please contact IAAPA at email: [email protected].
Phil Hong is the Safety Director at Shanghai Disney Resort, leveraging 20+ years of field experience and corporate safety management expertise across diverse industries. Joining in 2011 during the resort's early construction stage, he established a robust safety and health management system aligned with Disney's global standards. Phil's leadership ensured the well-being of project participants. In 2015, he transitioned to the operations team, establishing the Safety, Fire, and Emergency Response Team for the successful Grand Opening and ongoing safe operation of Shanghai Disney Resort.
Xavier has 21 years of service industry experience and have worked with several renown brands in two Asia markets and am part of the pioneer opening team for three international theme park and resort in his career. He is currently serving as the Director of Operations Compliance, Health, Training and Safety in Universal Beijing Resort.
Melinda Holds 14 years of experience in the service operations industry of which seven of those years were in management roles. She is part of the opening pioneers of Universal Studios Beijing (USB) and is currently leading the attraction operations team in day-to-day operations as well as a qualified park duty manager for the theme park.
Hongbo Yu specializes in ride show engineering and safety. He joined Universal Beijing project in year 2017 and was a part of the team that built the iconic B&M launch coaster from ground up. Hongbo is leading the Engineering Service Department to provide professional services to park-wide ride show venues and has been dedicating to assuring ride show engineering safety and reliability. Hongbo holds a master’s degree in mechanical engineering and was also part of the opening team for Shanghai Disney Resort.
Zhang Yong, a highly accomplished senior engineer, holds a Ph.D. degree in mechanical design from Shandong University. Since joining the esteemed China Special Equipment Inspection and Research Institute (CSEI) in 2006, Zhang Yong has dedicated himself to the field of amusement ride inspection, scientific research, and the revision of industry standards. With an impressive wealth of practical experience, he has conducted rigorous testing activities on numerous large-scale amusement rides, design reviews, type tests, site tests, and periodic inspections. Notably, Zhang Yong has played a pivotal role as one of the principal contributors in the development of significant industry standards in China.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please get in touch with Yifan Gao ([email protected]) for further information.