European Accessibility Act
Update June 2013
Commission paves the way for European Accessibility Act
The European Commission is drafting a proposal for a European Accessibility Act which will:
• Improve the functioning of the Internal Market in relation to accessible goods and services.
• Harmonise the accessibility requirements in Europe.
• Stimulate innovation in the accessibility field through the development and use of EU Standards
• Improving the effectiveness of accessibility legislation.
• Improving the inclusion and participation of persons with disabilities in the EU society and economy.
• Increase the incentives to provide accessible goods and services by including accessibility criteria in public procurement processes.
Amusement parks and attractions will want to ensure that any efforts to increase accessibility strike the right balance between protecting people’s safety and ensuring that amusement parks and attractions are a place for everybody to enjoy.