Number of Amusement Parks and Attractions
- There are more than 400 amusement parks and attractions in the United States.
- There are approximately 300 amusement parks in Europe.
Attendance (estimates based on report by Wilkofsky Gruen Associates)
- Asia Pacific: 368 million guests annually
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa: 161 million guests annually
- Latin America: 30 million guests annually
- North America: 375 million guest annually
Economic Impact (Direct and Indirect)
- United States: Nearly 30,000 attractions (theme and amusement parks, attractions, water parks, family entertainment centers, zoos, aquariums, science centers, museums, and resorts) produced a total nationwide economic impact of $219 billion in 2011.
- United States: In 2011, theme parks, amusement parks, and water parks generated a total direct economic impact of approximately $55.4 billion.
- Europe: In 2013, the amusement park industry generated an estimated €4.9bn (US$5.3 billion) in total revenue and contributed approximately €10bn (US$10.8 billion) to the European economy.
Amusement Park Industry Employment
- United States: The attractions industry is a leader in creation of non-exportable jobs. The industry directly employs more than 1.3 million and indirectly generates 1 million jobs, creating a total job impact of 2.3 million.
- Theme and amusement parks provide jobs for more than 600,000 year-round and seasonal employees (100,000 year-round, 500,000 seasonal).
- Europe: Theme and amusement parks employ an estimated 53,100 full-time employees.
IAAPA Survey Information
- According to IAAPA's 2013 Family Entertainment Centers (FECs) State of the Industry survey: (295 respondents from around the world.)
- Average Attendance: 369,289 guests annually
- Average Size: Indoor square footage - 24,636 square feet; Outdoor acreage - 12.9 acres; Average combination indoor-outdoor facilities - 22,684 square feet indoors and 8.1 acres outdoors.
- Operating Time: 90 percent operate year-round
- Average Guest Stay: 2.7 hours
- Guest Demographic: families with children 2-18 years of age
- According to IAAPA's 2011 Amusement Park State of the Industry survey:
(204 respondents from around the world.)
- 25 percent of Americans surveyed visited an amusement park within the last 12 months, with 43 percent of Americans indicating they plan to visit an amusement park within the next 12 months.
- 64 percent of Americans reported that their last trip to an amusement park was a day trip and 27 percent say it was an overnight trip.
- 28 percent of Americans said they would be interested in working for an amusement company.