Number of Amusement Parks and Attractions
- There are more than 400 amusement parks and attractions in the United States.
- There are approximately 300 amusement parks in Europe.
Number of Guests
- In 2010, approximately 290 million people visited U.S. amusement parks.
- In 2008, an estimated 145.5 million people visited Europe amusement parks.
Economic Impact (Direct and Indirect)
- U. S. amusement parks and attractions generate approximately $12 billion in revenues and contribute approximately $57 million to the U.S. economy.
- In 2008, the amusement park industry generated an estimated €4.3bn (US$5.3 billion) in total revenue in Europe and contributed approximately €8.6bn (US$10.6 billion) to the European economy.
Amusement Park Industry Employment
- The United States amusement park industry provides jobs for more than 600,000 year-round and seasonal employees (100,000 year-round, 500,000 seasonal).
- European theme and amusement parks employ an estimated 47,590 fulltime employees annually.
IAAPA Survey Information
- According to IAAPA's 2009 Family Entertainment Centers (FECs) State of the Industry survey, FECs experienced slight growth in 2008 with an average attendance of 196,532 an increase from
192,592 in 2007.
- According to a 2011 IAAPA U.S. survey of adults:
- 25 percent of Americans surveyed visited an amusement park within the last 12 months, with 43 percent of Americans indicating they plan to visit an amusement park within the next 12 months.
- 64 percent of Americans reported that their last trip to an amusement park was a day trip and 27 percent say it was an overnight trip.
- 28 percent of Americans said they would be interested in working for an amusement company.