September 26, 2008
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 Provides
Unparalleled Networking Opportunities
Alexandria, Virginia (United States) – As the worldwide conference and trade show for the attractions industry, IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 offers hours of networking opportunities in a variety of different formats including an inspirational Kickoff Event, networking breakfast and luncheon events, receptions and socials, and the industry’s premier social event, the IAAPA Attractions Expo Gala. Participants attending the week-long event, Nov. 17-21, at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, will build relationships with other industry leaders and gain valuable knowledge that will help them drive their business in the future. Here are the highlights of some of this year’s social and networking events:
Expo Events Provide a Variety of Networking Opportunities for All Participants
Kickoff Event 2008 (Nov. 18, 8:45-10 a.m.) – Sponsored by Gateway Ticketing Systems and Nice-Pak Products Inc.
Entertainment from Orlando’s theme parks will set the stage for this year’s Kickoff Event which will showcase the hottest new products, attractions, and rides from around the world. Attendees will learn about the latest trends in the attractions industry and what’s driving the business at amusement and theme parks, waterparks, family entertainment centers, zoos, aquariums, museums, science centers, casinos, and resorts. The agenda will also include the presentation of the prestigious IAAPA Hall of Fame Awards and Liseberg’s Applause Award. Expo participants won’t want to miss this exciting and inspiring opening event! Admission to the Kickoff Event is free with Expo registration. Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Opening Reception (Nov. 18, 6-8 p.m.) – Sponsored by Burdette Beckman, Inc, Omni Ticket Network, and FUNWORLD Magazine
After exploring nine miles of aisles on the trade show floor, attendees will enjoy relaxing with friends old and new at the Opening Reception. It’s the social gathering of the year for the who’s who of the attractions industry from throughout the world. Participants will enjoy beer, wine, and appetizers in a relaxed atmosphere that’s perfecting for networking. Tickets for the Opening Reception are $25 in addition to Expo registration.
General Managers and Owners’ Breakfast (Nov. 19, 8:30-9:45 a.m.) – Sponsored by Bears2Go.com, CNL Lifestyle Company, and Smile-Expo
Nick Varney, CEO of Merlin Entertainments Group, the largest attractions operator in Europe, will deliver the keynote address and discuss his company’s strategies and corporate consolidation in the industry. The IAAPA Service Awards will also be presented during this leadership event. Tickets are $85 in addition to Expo registration. Corporate tables are also available.
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 Gala (Nov. 20, 7 p.m. to midnight) – Sponsored by CLM Entertainment and Kodak Event Imaging Solutions
Known as the attractions industry’s premier social event, the IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 Gala promises an evening of quality entertainment, delicious food and drink, and more time for building important industry relationships. In honor of incoming IAAPA chairman, Darrell Metzger, this year’s Gala will pay tribute to the culture of Southern California and its world-famous beaches. Featuring live and silent auctions for Give Kids the World; a performance by Quick Change Artists, from America’s Got Talent; a live band; and dancing, the evening promises to be perfect for celebrating the Expo, spending time with friends, and networking. Seating is limited and the event usually sells out. Tickets are $150 in addition to Expo registration. Corporate tables are also available.
Breakfast and Luncheon Events Provide Opportunities to Learn from Industry Leaders
- Lunch and Learn: Adapting to a Dynamic Global Environment (Nov. 17)
Ocean Park CEO, Tom Mehrmann will address how Ocean Park turned the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland into an opportunity and broke attendance and revenue records for five consecutive years.
- Lunch with Dick Kinzel (Nov. 19) – Sponsored by Siriusware Inc.
Dick Kinzel, CEO of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, will share his insights on the future challenges and opportunities for the attractions industry.
- Women in the Industry Networking Lunch (Nov. 21)
Bobbie Weiner, also known as “Bloody Mary” and CEO of Bobbie Weiner Enterprises, is an award-winning special effects makeup artist. She will talk about how she built her business empire from one small idea.
- Museum and Science Center Day Luncheon (Nov. 17) – Sponsored by Gateway Ticketing Systems and Jack Rouse Associates
Yves Pépin, CEO of ECA2, a multimedia events company that has produced events throughout the world, will talk about the art of capturing the hearts and minds of the audience when creating entertainment.
- Trade Show 101 Luncheon (Nov. 19)
Phil Lindsey, from The Health Museum, will share his tips for first-time Expo attendees from museums and science centers.
Roundtable Discussions Provide Variety of Opportunities to Ask Questions and Share Learning
- ALAP Roundtables in Spanish (Nov. 20)
- Brazilian Roundtable in Portuguese (Nov. 18)
- Entertainment Managers Roundtables (Nov. 20)
- Finance and Information Technology Roundtables (Nov. 19)
- Family Entertainment Center Roundtables (Nov. 20)
- Games Managers Roundtables (Nov. 19)
- Legal and Legislative Roundtables (Nov. 20)
- Marketing and Public Relations Managers Roundtables (Nov. 18)
- Social Media 201 Roundtables (Nov. 18)
- Waterpark Networking Luncheon and Staffing Roundtables (Nov. 17)
- Zoo and Aquarium Day Roundtables Luncheon (Nov. 17)
Socials and Receptions Provide Time for Networking and Learning from Industry Peers
- Asian Breakfast for IAAPA members from Asia or Asian National Associations (Nov. 18)
- Benelux Get-Together for IAAPA members from Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg (Nov. 17) – Sponsored by Maxifoto, Pleisureworld, RECRON, and Van Assendelft & Partners
- Canadian Breakfast for IAAPA members from Canada and the Canadian attractions associations (Nov. 18)
- Carnival Amusement Industry and Showmen’s Reception (Nov. 19) – Sponsored by Gold Medal Products
- European Breakfast for IAAPA members from Europe and the European national associations (Nov. 18) – Sponsored by Vekoma Rides Manufacturing B.V.
- Family Entertainment Center Reception (Nov. 19) – Sponsored by ForeverLawn Inc., IALEI, Jane Farrell Turf & Carpets Inc., Prime Play by Whitewater, and Rhode Island Novelty
- Latin American Reception for IAAPA members from Latin America (Nov. 19) – Sponsored by Bob’s Space Racers
- Museum and Science Center Day Social (Nov. 17) – Sponsored by Jack Rouse Associates and Gateway Ticketing Systems
- Waterparks and Resorts Social at Wet ‘n Wild (Nov. 17) – Sponsored by American Locker Security Systems Inc., Cyllenius, ProSlide Technology Inc., Water Safety Products Inc., and Whitewater West Industries Ltd.
- Waterparks Tour and Social at Aquatica (Nov. 19) – Sponsored by American Locker Security Systems Inc., Cyllenius, ProSlide Technology Inc., Water Safety Products Inc., and Whitewater West Industries Ltd.
- Young Professionals Get-Together for all young professionals in the industry (Nov. 18)
- Zoo and Aquarium Day Social at Aquatica (Nov. 17) – Sponsored by The Nassal Company
Registration information for IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 is available at: www.IAAPA.org.
About IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008
The IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 is the largest conference and trade show for the amusement park and attractions industry in the world. With its theme “Success in Every Direction,” the show will draw an estimated 25,000 participants, representing amusement and theme parks, family entertainment centers, waterparks, zoos, aquariums, museums, casinos, resorts, developers, themed entertainment designers, consultants, manufacturers, and suppliers, to the Orange County Convention Center from Monday, Nov. 17, through Friday, Nov. 21. The trade show floor will be open Tuesday, Nov. 18 through Friday, Nov. 21.
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 offers a solid week of business and fun. More than 1,000 exhibitors will display their products and services in 1 million square feet of exhibit space. The event also includes educational sessions, behind-the-scenes tours, marquee social events, and networking opportunities. This is the marketplace where amusement and attraction industry leaders, decision makers and visionaries gather to network, view the latest innovations, and plan for the future.
IAAPA, the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, is the premier trade association for the attractions industry worldwide. Founded almost 90 years ago, IAAPA is the largest international trade association for permanently situated amusement facilities and attractions and is dedicated to the preservation and prosperity of the amusement industry. IAAPA represents more than 4,300 attraction, supplier, and individual members from more than 90 countries.
Press Office: +1 703/299-5127
David Mandt: dmandt@IAAPA.org
Tiffany Fessler: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicholas Wolaver: email@example.com