Back to Amusement Ride Safety
The Serious Business of Fun
- Safety is the number 1 priority the amusement park industry.
- Amusement parks provide one of the safest forms of recreation available to the public.
- Amusement park operators and ride manufacturers work together to develop and deliver safe guest experiences.
Safety by the Numbers
According to the 2011 Fixed-Site Amusement Ride Injury Survey*:
- Approximately 297 million guests visit the 400 U.S. amusement parks annually and take 1.7 billion safe rides.
- The chance of being seriously injured on a ride at a fixed-site park in the U.S. is 1 in 24 million.
- 61 of the 1,415 ride-related injuries, or less than 5 percent, required some form of overnight treatment at a hospital.
*IAAPA and the National Safety Council (NSC) established a nationwide amusement ride injury reporting system for all facilities operating fixed-site, or permanently situated amusement rides in the United States. The report is produced each fall and analyzes the previous year's reporting data. For example, the 2011 Fixed-site Amusement Ride Injury Survey was published in the fall of 2010.